Interesting Woodworking Link

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Episode #21 - Next Project . . . and First SketchUp Results!

No movie this time . . . maybe in the future if this project gets off the ground. I just got a load of some nice 4/4 cherry from our local Rockler Store. Despite no planned projects, I planned on stocking up on some cherry since it is my favorite wood. I also picked up some great 4/4 hard maple that I am going to use for a workbench top.

It seems projects always push the envelope causing us to learn something new or apply a new technique. This project is no exception. I finally took the plunge and used SketchUp 6 to draft initial plans for a frame & panel cherry display pedestal. What a great way to get a glimpse of potential construction complications before actually cutting wood!

This is a potential commission for my small shop, more importantly it is a reason to get a new project underway. I had a lot of fun playing with SketchUp and thought this would be a good opportunity to share the results. I am confident that additional practice will result in a new tool to the shop arsenal. If you haven't tried SketchUp, I recommend finding a project and downloading this awesome FREE program from Google. If you like the application, consider getting the professional version!

I suspect this will soon be the standard for sharing woodworking shop projects. Google has some great tutorials to get you started. Some other tutorials to investigate can be found at Fine Woodworking Online and Lumberjocks - click on the links below!


Lumberjocks.com SketchUp Tutorial Series

I've mentioned this before and it bears repeating . . . a subscription to Fine Woodworking Online is one of the best investments you can make in your personal woodworking education. The same can be said of Lumberjocks.com which is a wonderful community of woodworkers that generously share their skill, knowledge and advice. It is truly amazing to consider the skill of these guys that speak with you at a peer level. So, put on your list a membership on Fine Woodworking Online, Lumberjocks.com and get a free copy of SketchUp!

Now, I'm not going to give you all the SketchUp links on Lumberjocks because part of the fun is self discovery! Trust me when I say there is a lot of SketchUp information awaiting you on Lumberjocks.com! Just to whet your appetite, consider typing "Thorsen Table Challenge" into the search window . . .


Another great resource is the SketchUp Blog entitled Design. Click. Build. at Fine Woodworking Online. By the way, Bob Babcock from Lumberjocks.com is a frequent contributor to this blog!

My First SketchUp Results!
If I can do this . . . anyone can!


FRONT VIEW

BACK VIEW

LEG OPTIONS DETAIL

FINIS FOR NOW . . . SEE YOU ON THE NEXT EPISODE!

No comments: