Interesting Woodworking Link

Friday, December 14, 2007

Episode #26 - Brass Makers-Marks

A new batch of brass Makers-Marks just arrived. It is always a cool day when you get something in the post from the United Kingdom! I get my brass labels from a very kind chap in England – his contact information is below. Vidi makes a solid and a finely crafted product lending a nice touch to a piece of handcrafted furniture.
My artwork was designed on my Mac using Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop Elements. The artwork file was uploaded via email. We sorted out a couple of design questions, basically agreeing to Vidi’s excellent suggestion of infilling the letters black and the tree green. The cost for 5 standard 1-inch brass color infilled labels was approximately $36 (US). An excellent deal! Vidi has been busy lately but I can tell you the wait is worthwhile.

My final artwork

I like the traditional feel that these brass labels give a project. I prefer painting the recess black so that when the label is installed there is a small subtle black reveal line around the outside edge. This is strictly personal preference. For those interested, a blog demonstrating installation of the small (1 inch diameter x 3mm thick) brass Maker-Marks was posted on the Lumberjocks website. My Installing a Makers Mark Tutorial is also available as a PDF download on my website.


Traditional Bronze, Brass & Stainless Steel Labels

VIDI Visual Communication

1 Cross Lane, Kendal
Cumbria LA9 5LB England, UK
Tel/Fax: 01539 740 251
From abroad 0044 1539 740251
email: info@vidicomm.co.uk
www.makers-marks.co.uk

No comments: