Interesting Woodworking Link

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Episode #31 - New-Fangled Workbench - Part III


FRONT VIEW

BACK VIEW

Finally finished the rough draft of my version of John White's New-Fangled Workbench. This exercise in SketchUp has been very helpful visualizing the construction and assembly of the bench. I am convinced that this has saved me some painful construction mistakes! Lets hope the real time build goes well.

FRONT ISO VIEW

BACK ISO VIEW

The cabinet below will be plumbed for a shop vacuum and my vacuum pump, as well as, some storage. The cabinet opens from the back of the bench because the planing beam spanning the front would prohibit opening the doors. The planing beam rides in the T-track along the front legs. A support wedge and clamp ride in the horizontal T-track.

PLANING BEAM ATTACHMENT

PLANING BEAM SECTION


My shop is small, so this will be a mobile workbench with Kreg Tool Company 3 inch heavy-duty locking casters. I have some interesting plans for a series of clamping and assembly fixtures that will take advantage of Kreg Tool Company Mini Track and Track Clamp. I use the Kreg Pocket Screw Jig and Kreg Foreman quite a bit in my shop so it will be no surprise that the bench top will also have a couple of Kreg Insert Plates so I can take full advantage of my Kreg Bench Klamps. This bench will also incorporate some of my favorite features gathered from benches I have admired.

VIEWS WITH OPEN CABINET DOOR


No comments: