This bench top vacuum infuser is the perfect accessory for a woodshop vacuum pump. A vacuum infuser allows you to evenly dye veneer and small pieces of wood. You can also infuse wood stabilizing products such as acrylic resin, sanding sealer or Miniwax Wood Hardener.
The applications for a vacuum infusing are broad, ranging from colored veneer for marquetry to colored and stabilized pen turning blanks to colored and stabilized custom knife scales. I for one am looking forward to dyeing my own veneer for future marquetry projects.
For starters, try 15 minutes of vacuum infusing for coloring veneers. Just remember, experiment and have fun!
Stay tuned for the completion of the inlay series.
GREEN - ORANGE - NATURAL - HONEY AMBER - LEMON YELLOW
Close up vacuum gauge showing -28mmHg
BENCH TOP VACUUM INFUSER BILL OF MATERIALS
- PVC 4” Pipe Caps - 2 each
- PVC 4” Pipe - 24 inches
- Heavy Duty Stem Valve - 1 each
- Vacuum Hose Connector - 1 each
- Vacuum Tape - 12 inches
- Base - 8 x 8 hardwood or plywood
- Truss Head ¾” Screws - 4 each
- Clear Silicone - 1 small tube
- Gasket Material 4’ Diameter - 12” square sheet from an auto store
VACUUM INFUSING RESOURCE LINKS
- Veneer Supplies
- JoeWoodworker Vacuum Infusion Article
- Heavy Duty Stem Valve
- Vacuum Hose Connector
- Vacuum Tape
- Order TransTint Dyes
- Hints & Tips for Using TransTint Dyes
- TransTint Color Samples